[update]: Just released a beta version of midimouse 0.7 that will run on Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) and Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion). Unfortunately some User Interface Elements and the Wii stuff weren’t compatible, so I had to remove it. As I’m quite busy, this version hasn’t been tested very well. (see Download)
midimouse is a small, easy-to-use and very simple program. It sends MIDI-controller-messages (CC) by moving the mouse over its (resizeable) window. While moving the mouse (with or without mouseDown) over the X-/Y-axxis, each axxis sends a CC, so you might send values within up to 4 configurable Controllers.
The default CC’s are:
CC12 and CC13 for X/Y and
CC14 and CC15 for X/Y with mouseDown*
(* not available in “clickThrough”-mode)
So, what’s it for if you’ve never heard of CC’s?
You can make music with it! Just connect it as a MIDI-Controller to your hardware-synthesizers or software-programs (eg. Ableton LIVE, Propellerheads Reason, …) and you can control the effects by moving your mouse – on a small screensize or even also on full screen, if midimouse is in “click-trough” mode. It’s like a virtual KAOSS-Pad!
- midimouse 0.7: Mac OS X 10.7. or Mac OS X 10.8.
- midimouse 0.4 to 0.6: Mac OS X 10.4. to Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Universal Binary for PowerPC and IntelMacs)
- midimouse 0.1 to 0.3: Mac OS X 10.3.
(see below in the Download-Archive section!)
Creative-Commons (by-nc-nd), that means free for private use and you are welcome to copy and share midimouse! Please ask before trying to use midimouse commercial (that means before you try to _sell_ midimouse, standalone or bundled; of course you might _use_ it for free on any occation).
Parts of midimouse are built upon the PYMIDI.framework from Pete Yandell. Thank you Pete!
· v.0.7 beta: midimouse_110723_07b.zip (Mac OS 10.7. – 10.8. Intel)
Please leave a comment or contact me, if you have issues with this version or found a bug, older versions are still available below!
Archive (old versions):
· v.0.6: midimouse_071113_0.6.bC.dmg.zip (Mac OS 10.4. – 10.6. / PPC / Intel)
· v.0.4: midimouse_060316_0.4.dmg.gz (Mac OS 10.4. / PPC / Intel)
· v.0.3: midimouse_051111_0.3.dmg.gz (Mac OS 10.3. / PPC)
· v.0.2: midimouse_050310_0.2.dmg.gz (Mac OS 10.3. / PPC)
· v.0.1: first beta-release (unstable)
· v.0.2: first stable release
· v.0.3: some bug-fixes, added “click-through-mode”, where the window is completely unresponsible for mouse-clicks. This version is compatible with Mac OS X 10.3.
· v.0.4: universal binary for IntelMacs and PowerPCs, added Quartz-Mode supporting QuartzComposer Visuals, some bugfixes, improved window-handling. This version needs Mac OS X 10.4.
· v.0.5: added ScrollWheel support and some minor modifications (never released)
· v.0.6: nearly completely rewritten, now document based application, added keyboard + Wii control (experimental), HID inspector
· v.0.7: fixed to run on Lion and Mountain Lion (10.7 and 10.8), removed WII support and deactivated some incompatible interface elements (HID inspector).
Original timestamp for this article: March 10, 2005 @ 20:31